STD's SRB2 HQ - Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STD's SRB2 HQ - Community Forums

The official forums of STD's SRB2 HQ.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My fan game, Sonic Advanced

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dr.Pepper
Ultimate Blaze Fan
Ultimate Blaze Fan
Dr.Pepper

My fan game, Sonic Advanced Empty
PostSubject: My fan game, Sonic Advanced   My fan game, Sonic Advanced Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 12:56 am

I didn't know what forum would be most appropriate to post this in, so I'm posting this topic in General Discussion. I wrote a 2D Sonic game in the style of the Advance games using Game Maker 7 and Damizean's Sonic 360 engine, took a whole year to make, being my first game.
I'm too lazy to paste the game's description here, so you'll have to read it on the web page the download is at. Razz My user name over at Yoyogames is 11up, just so you know.
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/25200#
Discuss!
Back to top Go down
SonicTheDalek
WARNING: May contain AIDS.
SonicTheDalek

PostSubject: Re: My fan game, Sonic Advanced   My fan game, Sonic Advanced Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 2:23 am

I've already downloaded it from a link on your profile way before you've even posted this topic. I SEE ALL, I KNOW ALL! *exterminated*

The game looked pretty good by the way, especially for a first game! Although as some might have pointed out, it's a bit glitchy. For example, better collision physics (especially Tails and Knuckles, but I don't know about other characters though) might be needed.

Also, I've found something you might be intrested in. It's a Sonic engine that contains better collision physics for Tails and Knuckles that you might incorporate to your game as this engine is also based on Damizean's Sonic 360 engine. The link is here.

Oh, and I'm also working on a Metal Sonic character for it, by the way. Just so you know. Wink

Oh, would you plan to add in unlockable modes of gameplay? A Classic mode would be great, being able to play as the original Sonic, Tails and Knuckles with graphics and gameplay being very much like the original Sonic games! ^_^

EDIT: Can you make the Crystal Caves boss more easier? I can hit him but I can't bloody seem to kill the bastard! Evil or Very Mad

Oh, and make the Ice Peak boss easier as well as I've had a hard time dealing with that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sonicthedalek/index.htm
Dr.Pepper
Ultimate Blaze Fan
Ultimate Blaze Fan
Dr.Pepper

PostSubject: Re: My fan game, Sonic Advanced   My fan game, Sonic Advanced Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 9:34 pm

I'm glad you like it, I tried my best to ensure it would be a game that I'd play if I was someone else browsing the internet. Although working on it for so long made me sick of it. Laughing
About the physics, I did see that engine you posted before, it's very accurate and I used a quite a bit of it on SA, especially for parallex scrolling and making Tails' tails rotate. But I thought it was far too complicated and resource consuming for me to use the whole thing. (My version of the engine can do in 10 lines of code what Damizean/Yoshi's engine does in 40 lines. Laughing ) So I built it upon Damizean's original Sonic 360 Example and learned how to make all of the other parts of the engine work by myself, hince, the glitches and inaccuracies. I'm such a noobish programmer, I should have known better. Laughing
About the Crystal cave boss, just use a flying character to 'land' your blows. The ice peak zone boss can also be beaten easily using Amy's hammer. But if it's still a pain in the neck, I'd suggest toying around with the SAData.ini file so you can skip the boss altogether. The last two zones after that get more interesting, though. If you beat the game, you'll earn Blaze and Shadow, can you take a guess who did all of the Blaze sprites? Wink
Btw, you can make a custom retro Sonic character, and set the retro variable in the SAChar.ini file to 1 and his sprites will rotate just like in the classics. Very Happy Although a classic mode would be great for say, like a Sonic CD style camera view or retro sounds. It's a good idea, I might incorporate that if I have time, I could even add a option for a refresh rate faster than 45 fps.
Back to top Go down
Blade T. Hedgehog
Aspring Poster
Aspring Poster
Blade T. Hedgehog

PostSubject: Re: My fan game, Sonic Advanced   My fan game, Sonic Advanced Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 1:51 am

SonicTheDalek wrote:
...Metal Sonic character...

I already started work on one...

My fan game, Sonic Advanced Metalstuff

But yeah, cool game. But is it possable to change your team mate?
Back to top Go down
SonicTheDalek
SonicTheDalek

PostSubject: Re: My fan game, Sonic Advanced   My fan game, Sonic Advanced Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 1:01 pm

Aww, and I'm just making mine out of a spritesheet... character cancelled kthanxbai! *shot*

Anyway, your Metal Sonic does look good. Oh, and you can change your partnet, just press the "Ctrl" key over the character you want as your partner.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sonicthedalek/index.htm
Dr.Pepper
Ultimate Blaze Fan
Ultimate Blaze Fan
Dr.Pepper

PostSubject: Re: My fan game, Sonic Advanced   My fan game, Sonic Advanced Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 pm

You can also configure a button on your joypad to change or select team mates. I called it the 'tag' button, can't remember why. Laughing
Btw, those Metal Sonic sprites are great. If you finish them (and if you don't mind) and I make another update to SA, could I add your sprites of Metal Sonic as a 8th playable character in the game itself?
Back to top Go down
Blade T. Hedgehog
Aspring Poster
Aspring Poster
Blade T. Hedgehog

PostSubject: Re: My fan game, Sonic Advanced   My fan game, Sonic Advanced Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Dr.Pepper wrote:
You can also configure a button on your joypad to change or select team mates. I called it the 'tag' button, can't remember why. Laughing
Btw, those Metal Sonic sprites are great. If you finish them (and if you don't mind) and I make another update to SA, could I add your sprites of Metal Sonic as a 8th playable character in the game itself?

Sure you can! I think he should be unlockable by getting all "A" ranks. 'Course, I need to finnish them first...
Back to top Go down
goofydude
Aspring Poster
Aspring Poster
goofydude

PostSubject: Re: My fan game, Sonic Advanced   My fan game, Sonic Advanced Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 12:05 pm

hey i have played this game before its pretty good too. the only thing is that the boss battle is a little akward because i cant really tell when those things can and cant hit me also sometimes the spikes pop up right under me Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My fan game, Sonic Advanced   My fan game, Sonic Advanced Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My fan game, Sonic Advanced
Page 1 of 1